Home Maintenance Tips
Household maintenance is an essential part of being a home owner. Not only does it ensure that your internal environment stays healthy, but it is also necessary to maintain your new home warranty if you live in a house or condominium that is less than seven years old.
All new homes in Ontario come with a warranty that lasts seven years from the date of the first possession, and this warranty is guaranteed by Tarion Warranty Corporation. The warranty protects homeowners from things like water penetration through the basement or foundation walls; defects in the electrical, plumbing and heating systems; and major structural damage, among other problems. But in order to ensure your home stays covered, you are advised to perform regular seasonal maintenance. Here are some tips to ensure it remains in good shape:
- Clear eaves troughs of debris regularly and extend downspouts so that water is directed away from your home. Water that flows around the foundation could eventually find its way into the basement.
- Have your roof inspected regularly to ensure shingles, flashing and chimney caps are in place and sealed properly.
- Fix the caulking around windows and doors and on the roof if it becomes cracked or separated.
- Clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Check air ducts; remove covers and vacuum dust from vents.
- Investigate and identify any musty smells and odors. They are often an indicator that there is a hidden moisture problem.
- In the winter, shut off exterior water supply and drain water lines.
- Install winter cover for air conditioning unit.
- Check roofing and flashing for signs of wear or damage.
- Check/clean heat recovery ventilator (HRV); wash or replace filter.
- Clean the mechanisms of the humidifiers.
- Check for condensation and proper humidity levels.
It’s important to remember that ongoing maintenance helps to ensure that your statutory warranty is protected. After you move in, you are advised to follow an annual maintenance routine to help keep your new home in top shape. Information about warranty coverage is available online at www.tarion.com.