Written by an Expert

Qualified Home inspector

B.C. has licensed its inspectors since March 2009, which means they must belong to one of three organizations with a recognized level of education and experience and carry liability insurance.

All the other provinces have self-regulating professional bodies that set the standards for home inspectors, and they are also members of CAPHI national.

The Registered Home Inspector (RHI) designation means an inspector has passed courses that are specific to home inspections and defect recognition classes.  The inspector also performed a minimum of 250 paid inspections. Again, standards vary across the country and only B.C. requires home inspectors to be licensed and carry liability insurance.

There are a few other building trades organizations, such as the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians (ASTT) which is outside CAPHI but certifies home inspectors.

Another type of accredited inspector is a National Certificate Holder (NCH). They can work in any province, have done 150 paid inspections and have had their work peer reviewed by CAPHI.

You can verify if someone is certified nationally by checking this website.

About Author: Vahid

Vahid Azari is a Registered Home Inspector (RHI) of “Ontario Association of Home Inspectors” (OAHI), Registered Home Inspector of “Canadian Association of home and property Inspectors” (CHAPI), Certified Inspector of “American Society of Home Inspectors” (ASHI), Certified Energy Advisor (CEA) of “Natural resource of Canada” (NRCan), Certified Building Thermographer for (IR) Infra-red Camera, and Certified Mold Inspector.